Organizational Location: UNEP/DCPI/ Internet Unit (Public Information)
Duty Station: Nairobi
Functional Title: Consultant (Level A)
Duration: 6 months
Closing Date: 22/04/2014
Organizational Setting: The United Nations Office at Nairobi (UNON) is the UN headquarters in Africa and the representative office of the Secretary-General. UNON supports programme implementation of the UN Environment Programme (UNEP) and the UN Human Settlements Programme (UN-HABITAT) globally, as well as other UN offices in Kenya, by providing administrative, conference and information services (www.unon.org).
This post is located in The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), and is the United Nations systems designated entity for addressing environmental issues at the global and regional level.
Its mandate is to coordinate the development of environmental policy consensus by keeping the global environment under review and bringing emerging issues to the attention of governments and the international community for action.
UNEP's Division of Communications and Public Information (DCPI) communicates UNEP's core messages to stakeholders and partners, raising environmental awareness and enhancing the profile of UNEP worldwide.
This post is located in UNEP/ DCPI at the Nairobi duty station.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Head of Internet Unit and the guidance of the Division Director of DCPI the consultant will perform the following duties:
Implementing World Environment Day and UNEA social media strategies
Write, select, edit, post, update and maintain UNEP’s content on social networking platforms;
Conceptualizing new ways for UNEP to engage in social networks
Develop infographics / factographs and other visual social media content
Identify interesting content from UNEP websites, twitter lists, social media accounts, media clippings, news sources and prepare draft messages
Monitor social media accounts for questions, mentions, retweets, shares, lists.
Engaging with fans on UNEP pages and channels
Actively expand the network of followers.
Support live tweeting, twitter chats, news centre based, and other social media activities.
Respond to any content management issues that arise in the daily performance of the responsibilities of the post;
Prepare weekly/ monthly updates on campaigns, VIP followers (influencers/celebrities) etc.
Coordinate with language teams to ensure UNEP’s presence on the social media in the UN official languages.
- Expertise working with major social networking platforms (Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, Storify, Weibo, QQ) in a corporate/organisational context;
- Programming capability where appropriate to develop applications for these platforms;
- Design capacity for developing pages on these platforms;
- Excellent communications skills, both oral and written;
- Knowledge of Chinese, French and other languages an asset,
- Observing deadlines and achieving results
Planning and Organizing:
- Ability to identify priority activities and assignments, handle multiple activities and projects concurrently and make necessary adjustments as required;
- Ability to foresee risks and allow for contingencies when planning;
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies;
- Identifies priority activities and assignments;
- Uses time efficiently;
- Gathers and analyzes information skillfully;
- Develops alternative solutions and is objective even when dealing with stressful situations.
Ability to express ideas clearly, concisely and persuasively, including the ability to defend and explain difficult issues;
Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately;
Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication;
Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience;
Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity;
- Ability to lead and gain assistance and cooperation of others in a team endeavor;
- Gives and welcomes feedback;
- Contributes to building a positive team spirit;
- Puts success of team above own interests;
- Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives;
- Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
Advanced university degree (Master’s or equivalent) in journalism, information technology, linguistic studies and combined with Computer, Information Systems or other related field.
A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of three years of progressively responsible experience with the major social networking platforms (Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Blogger, Orkut, LinkedIn, MySpace, ScribD, RenRen); Experience in programming capability where appropriate to develop applications for these platforms, design capacity for developing pages on these platforms, including experience at the international level, is highly desirable.
Qualifying years of experience are calculated following the receipt of the first level.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat.
For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required.
Knowledge of one or more of these languages (Arabic/French/Spanish/Russian/Chinese) is required.
Preference will be given to equally qualified women candidates.
All applications to be sent to the following address on or before the deadline of 02/04/2014. Applicants should send a completed United Nations Personal History form (available at http://www.unon.org/docs/P11.doc) or Personal History Profile together with a covering letter of one to two pages summarizing how they meet the requirements of the job to:
UN staff members must submit scanned copies of their two latest Performance Appraisal System (e-PAS) reports at the time of application to the email address above.
Please Quote Vacancy Announcement No: NA-14-24
(Applications without Correct Vacancy Number will not be Considered)
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. (Charter of the United Nations - Chapter 3, article 8).
The United Nations Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
The United Nations does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing, training or any other fees).
The United Nations does not concern itself with information on bank accounts.